SAN DIEGO, CA — As the weekend wraps up, we’ve rounded up all the stories you may have missed on Saturday and Sunday to prepare you for Monday.
But before we jump into Southern California’s top stories, parents who oppose Gov. Gavin Newsom’s vaccine and mask mandates for schoolchildren are organizing a statewide school walkout for Monday. The protest is the latest move by parents and voters dissatisfied with both on-campus mask-wearing and vaccine mandates in California schools. Read more about that here.
From former President Bill Clinton being released from the hospital, to nearly 200 vehicles being destroyed in a fire at a wrecking yard, here are some of the stories in and around Southern California you might have missed this weekend.
- The anchor-dragging incident occurred in close proximity to a sub-sea pipeline, which was discovered to be the source of the OC oil spill.
COVID-19 Hospitalizations Fall Below 200 In Orange County
- “We’re in a gradual decline,” said Dr. Regina Chinsio-Kwong, the county’s deputy county health officer.
Fire Breaks Out At Banning Home
- It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
‘Halloween Kills’ Slays At Box Office With $50M Opening
- “Halloween Kills” opened with $50.3 million to lead all films at the box office this weekend, according to industry estimates.
LA County Urges Public To Avoid High-Risk Halloween Activities
- Health officials are urging residents to plan for a safe Halloween.
Man Accused Of Attempted Murder Tries To Escape Custody: Police
- A 27-year-old man accused of stabbing an elderly man outside a Banning home remained behind bars Sunday in lieu of $1 million bail.
Man Found Fatally Shot At Long Beach Apartment Building
- The shooting victim was identified as Cesar Hernandez of Long Beach, the Long Beach Police Department reported.
Man Hit By Vehicle While Walking On 10 Freeway In Mid-City Area
- A 45-year-old man was killed Sunday when he was struck by a vehicle while walking on the Santa Monica Freeway.
Man Killed By Train In Banning Identified
- The 58-year-old man was struck by the train near Highland Springs, south of Interstate 10.
Man Killed In Crash On 91 Freeway In Riverside
- Kevin Marbury of Riverside was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Riverside County coroner’s office.
Man Killed In Fight At Newport Beach Pier: Police
- Police determined the victim was involved altercation with the suspect, who was located in the area and arrested.
Man Struck And Killed By Charter Bus In San Diego
- The bus struck the pedestrian, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
‘Mr. Irrelevant Week’ Founder, Former USC Football Player Dies
- Paul Salata died one day shy of his 95th birthday.
Nearly 200 Vehicles Destroyed In Fire At Otay Mesa Wrecking Yard
- Twenty people were evacuated Saturday near a large fire that destroyed an estimated 200 vehicles at a wrecking yard.
Pedestrian Killed By Hit-And-Run Driver In Los Angeles
- The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.
Pedestrian Struck, Seriously Injured In Lincoln Park
- The woman was rushed to a hospital and treated for a fractured pelvis, police said.
Shooting, Stabbing In Separate Attacks In Escondido
- One person was shot and another person was stabbed in separate incidents in Escondido, police said.
Toddler In Grave Condition After Crash In Los Angeles
- A two-vehicle crash in the North Hills area left an 18-month-old boy in grave condition and a woman in serious condition, authorities said.
‘Widespread Support’ For School Walkouts Across Riverside County
- District officials are “aware of the statewide sit-out being planned” Monday to protest a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for California students.
More stories from across California:
2021 Holiday Shipping Deadlines In California
- More people are still shopping online due to the pandemic. Before you send those gifts, know the 2021 shipping deadlines in California.
7 Best CA Restaurants: The New York Times List
- NorCal or SoCal, which had more restaurants on the list?
CA School Walkout Against COVID-19 Mandates: 5 Things To Know
- SURVEY: A campaign swirling across social media calls on parents who oppose COVID-19 vaccine mandates to keep their children home Monday.
Halloween Freebies, Steals & Restaurant Dining Deals 2021
- Eateries throughout California are rolling out eerie eats & sweet treats throughout October to get you in the spooky spirit.
The Chances Of Deer Collisions While Driving In California
- Most animal-involved crashes occur in the fall. A 2021 State Farm analysis breaks down the likelihood of hitting a deer in California.